Tuesday 31 May 2011

The Canadian War Services Library

Just a short update as I'm spending more time outside these days than inside at the keyboard, but I will have a couple of great updates later this week.  Lately I've been doing some research to learn more about this bookplate I acquired some time ago:

The Canadian War Libraries by Leslie Victor Smith (1939)

Designed by Leslie Victor Smith in 1939, it is a typical example of his later work for official organizations.   It also provides us with good evidence of the various names being used by Canadian library councils prior to the outbreak of the Second World War.  I especially like this one as well as it was used to mark books donated by the students of Fort Erie High School in Ontario.

Leslie Victor Smith's personal bookplate

As mentioned in my previous post on bookplate resources, there is a book available written by Colgate that details Smith's Ex Libris work.  I actually don't yet have a copy of this important volume, but it's on the 'to do' list for this summer.  Very likely I'll pick it up during one of my travels away from the keyboard.  See you again soon.



1 comment:

  1. The "Bookplates of Leslie Victor Smith" by Colgate, is in no way easy to find. I purchased one several year ago, but it is a limited edition with original bookplates -- including the Banting ex-libris. All the plates, save one, are signed by LVS.

    Speaking of Frederick Banting, our Museum --the Colby-Curtis Museum in Stanstead, Qc -- holds a book collection that includes several of Banting's personal library, many with his signature, but no bookplates... I'll keep looking, just in case one comes up. But I do have some of Lady Banting's, who owned a family estate nearby in Rock Island, "Lee Farm".

    She was an early friend of our museum, and donated books, documents and artworks -- including paintings by Sir Frederick Banting. We also own portraits by Wilbur Aaron Reaser of both Henrietta Ball Banting and Sir Frederick, painted in the early 20's.

    By the way, I love your blog. I have a few Canadian medical booplates, including some from the early 19th century: looking forward to further postings on these on your blog. I can send you scans of mine, if you would like them.

    ReplyDelete