Monday 17 December 2012

Lawrence Inglebert McMahon Bookplate

Who was he?
Ever since I first saw this bookplate in the Thomas Murray Collection I've been attracted to it.  It's a fabulous composition in a restricted space and it does a great job of focusing the eye on central scene.  If you look at it while, you might even find yourself wondering, "where did the reader go?"

Needless to say, I was very excited to have one turn in up in the old collection I just bought.  I've spent a bit of time researching the owner, but other than determining that he might have been an Irish immigrant to Canada around 1880 I've had no other luck so far.  A closer inspection of the plate itself revealed the initials 'Ph.K.' tucked under the face of the creature depicted a the bottom right.  Again, I've no idea who the designer might have been.

This is one of those bookplates that I would really love to be able to tell the story of.  It's obvious the owner cared enough about his library to adorn his books with a fine plate, and I'd be interested to hear from anyone who may know more about the plate, the designer, or the owner.  My email is above if you know.  Until next time...




No comments:

Post a Comment